Saturday, March 28, 2009

Trying out Names

When I got to my room, I was relieved to find the journal sitting on my desk next to my schoolbooks. I hoped Dad had found it, not Mom, but there was no changing it either way. At least I had it. I placed it carefully in my bottom desk drawer. I put on jeans and a t-shirt and left my room, closing the door tight behind me. By the time I got to the kitchen, Mom had already put dinner on the table.

“Did you get them all?” Dad asked.

“I hope so.” I sat in my usual chair and scooped au gratin potatoes onto my plate. Mom scowled as I picked up a crusty chicken breast with my hands the way I always did. I held up my hands.

“They’re clean. I just took a bath, remember?”

“You’re old enough to use a fork.”

“It’s fried chicken, Mom. Finger-lickin’ good.”

Mom just shook her head. I could see Dad grinning as he picked up a drumstick and took a bite.

“You two,” Mom sighed.

“Peas in a pod,” Dad said.

Mom rubbed her hand across the slight bulge just below her narrow waist. “Don’t listen to them, Providence. We don’t want you learning their bad manners.”

“Providence?” I asked.

“I know. It’s a little old fashioned, but your father picked it out.” Mom put her hand over Dad’s.

I looked over at Dad.

He nodded and grinned. “Nothing wrong with being old fashioned.”

“What if it’s a boy?” I asked.

Dad shrugged. “Then I guess we’ll change the name to Chance.”

“Or Fortune,” Mom said. “Because very few people in this world are fortunate enough to have a second child.”

“Fortune Bard?” I asked. “Think of the poor child’s future.”

Dad laughed. “You have a point, Mandy girl. Good thing we have some time to try out names.”

No comments:

Post a Comment